Ms. Tong has advised and represented clients in a broad range of matters, including employment law issues and claims, contract disputes, trade secret misappropriation claims, professional liability defense, health law issues, premises liability claims, construction defect claims, and corporate law matters. Her jury trial experience includes assisting in the successful defense of corporate clients against claims of discrimination, wrongful termination, fraud, and false imprisonment, as well as the successful prosecution of breach of contract claims. In addition, Ms. Tong has helped clients avoid the expense and burden of trial by defeating claims on summary judgment, including the successful defense of tort claims on behalf of corporate clients.
Ms. Tong is well versed in the requirements of HIPAA and HITECH, including recent regulations relating thereto, and she has assisted health care entities and business associates by drafting and revising their policies and procedures to ensure compliance. She also counsels her corporate clients in business transactions, including negotiation, drafting, and review of contracts and other documents.
- Experienced in advising and representing clients in a broad range of matters, including employment law issues and claims, contract disputes, trade secret misappropriation claims, health law issues, premises liability claims, construction defect claims, and corporate law matters
- Assisted in the successful defense of a corporate client through a jury trial against claims of false imprisonment, fraud, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Assisted in the successful defense of a corporate client through a jury trial against claims of race discrimination and wrongful termination
- Assisted in obtaining a favorable jury verdict for a health care entity’s breach of contract claim
- Obtained multiple favorable summary judgment decisions in defense of prmises liability slip-and-fall cases
- Obtained multiple favorable summary judgment decisions in establishing a condemning entity’s right of eminent domain
Publications and Speeches
- Employment Law Update, presented at the DFW Heathcare Human Resources Association Annual Seminar, September 2014.
- Navigating the Tornado of Employment Litigation, presented at the DFW Healthcare Human Resources Association Annual Seminar, April 2013
- Revisiting Neutral Leave Policies Under the ADAAA, EEOC v. Verizon, Employment Law Newsletter, 2012
- How the ADAA has Changed the Way We Do Business, presented at the DFW Healthcare Human Resources Association 2012 Annual Seminar, August 2012
- The ADA Amended Act: Shifting the Focus Away From What Constitutes a Disability, Employment Law Newsletter, 2012
- What Employers Should Know About Regulations Implementing the ADAAA, Employment Law Newsletter, 2012
- Navigating the Procedural Requirements of Texas’ Revised Eminent Domain Laws (co-author) Texas Wesleyan Law Review Energy Symposium, 2012
- Fourth Amendment – The Ninth Circuit Court Allows the Government to Read International Airmail Absent a Warrant: United States v. Seljan, 73 Journal of Air Law & Commerce 121 (2008)
- Licensed by the Texas Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Education and Professional Background
- J.D., Southern Methodist University, cum laude, 2008
- B.A., Southern Methodist University, 2004
- Judicial Intern to The Honorable Barbara M.G. Lynn, Northern District of Texas
- Collins Clerk to The Honorable Wallace B. Jefferson, Texas Supreme Court
- Judicial Intern to the U.S. Merit Systems Protection Board
Honors and Awards
- Finalist, SettlePou Journal of Air Law & Commerce 2008 Best Casenote Award
- Staff Editor of SMU Law Review